Deputyship/Court of Protection

If a close family member has lost their mental capacity and they have not appointed an attorney under a lasting power of attorney, then a close relative of such person can make an application to the Court of Protection to be appointed that person’s deputy. A deputy thus appointed can deal with that person’s financial affairs and/or health and welfare matters. Separate applications have to be made to be appointed as a personal welfare deputy and  as a financial affairs and property deputy and they each attract a court fee. There is also a fee if there is a court hearing